How to set up a conversion funnel in google analytics

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by William Murray, Dec 16, 2013.

1. William Murray

William Murray Administrator Staff Member

Knowing your numbers and setting baselines in your funnels are a critical part of laying the foundation of optimising conversions.

If you don't currently know what your baselines are how can you improve your conversions?

Setting up visual funnels in google analytics provides greater insights into exactly what's happening and any potential holes you might have throughout your funnels.

Whether your prospects are signing up for your online service, free report with upsells, info or software based products you may be selling online, they all have to take certain steps to reach whatever it is you're offering.

Visualised funnels allows you to see the process easily, providing a visual representation of data between each step in the process.

During this short tutorial I'll cover off the basic setup of a visualised funnel in google analytics, we'll delve deeper into goals / funnels in future posts.

View The Video Tutorial Below

1) From your Google Analytics home page, click on the Admin tab along the top menu bar.

fv post image1.png
    2) In your accounts view section click on the Goals option.

fv post image2.png
    3) One the next step we're going to create a new Goal, click on Create A Goal.

fv post image3.png
    4) Give your new goal a name, this will be the destination on your visualisation funnel you setup. For the purpose of this tutorial we'll call our goal Achme Conversion

fv post image4.png
    5) We're going to set a Destination for the Type of goal, this is simply your thank you page, download page or whatever page is the final destination for your prospect / customer and click on Next Step.

fv post image5.png
    6) Lets define the Destination url next, this will be the ending point of your funnel i.e. thank you page.

fv post image6.png
    7) If you know a monetary value for your customer Acquisition then you can add that in the Value section, don't worry if you don't know this figure you can always add that in afterwards when you gage exactly how your funnel is converting.

fv post image7.png
    8) Next enable the Funnel option.

fv post image8.png
    9) For this tutorial we're going to have the sales page as the main entry point in the funnel i.e. This is where the traffic will hit to enter our funnel, and one upsell. First we'll setup the sales page in the funnel.

The option Required? simply means is this the main entry point into our funnel or not?

We're going to say Yes it's the main entry point of the funnel.

fv post image9.png
    10) Lets add in our one time offer into the funnel next, which is step 2 in the funnel setup.

fv post image10.png
    11) Next step is to verify the Goal you've setup.

fv post image11.png
    12) If you have historical data in Google Analytics then you'll potentially be presented with conversions in your funnel to date, however we're using a test account for this example and therefore there is no data to display.

fv post image12.png
    13) Click on Create Goal next and our funnel setup is complete.

fv post image13.png
    14) You will now see your new Goal / Funnel setup, see example below.

fv post image14.png
    15) To view your new funnel go to Home > All Website Data > Conversions > Goals > Funnel Visualization, you'll now have a visual representation of your new funnel.

fv post image15.png
    That's all there is to it for the basic funnel setup in Google Analytics, once traffic starts to enter and exit your funnel you'll see entry / exit points on each step.

This gives you an excellent visual reference as to where there may be holes in your funnel, what your current baseline conversions are and how you can close those holes and improve overall conversions.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Gordon Russell

Gordon Russell VIP Member

Awesome stuff William,

I am not big on setting up things that take a lot of time to configure, but when it is put as simply as that, I don't think I can afford not to do it in the future.

Thanks for going to the trouble of making and sharing this with us.

3. William Murray

My pleasure Gordon, it literally takes a few minutes once you've done it a couple of times :)

Cheryl Johnson likes this.
  4. Sue Fleckenstein

Sue Fleckenstein Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing it and the step by step process is sure to make it easier to actually set up. Will let you know how I get on.

5. William Murray

Thanks sue it's a really easy process and very powerful information you will get from the funnel data you gather, which of course will allow you to tweak and improve how your funnel converts : )

6. Kieran McDonogh

Kieran McDonogh VIP Member

Fantastic share William - very step-by-step and actionable. Will be referring back to this for a funnel I'm in the process of setting up currently. Its content like this that makes JVFocus so valuable :D

7. Cheryl Johnson

Cheryl Johnson VIP Member

William, you have done it again!

Thank you so much for posting this!

The information is fantastic, the approach is simple and straightforward, and the presentation is excellent! You did an amazing job! ^-^

And, it has now, officially been added to my list of things to do this week. XD lol

My funnel is atypical, so I'll let you know if I come across any inconsistencies when building it. If nothing else, it's bound to be an interesting experiment! :D

Thank you again! ^-^

William Murray likes this.
  8. William Murray

Thanks Kieran : )

First one took a bit of effort however got there in the end and this will be the format I deliver content on JV Focus now, I'm sure I'll get faster at it as I go lol

9. Steve Waller

Steve Waller Well-Known Member

Super stuff once again William - looks really simple to do which isn't what I would have originally thought beforehand.

Do you know - can you set an outbound click as a goal at all (maybe using tag manager) as this would be really useful for affiliate sites etc?

10. Chad Rego

Chad Rego New Member

Like Steve, I never knew it was that simple, darn, love it, will be implementing this for sure! Thanks William!

11. William Murray

Thanks Steve : )

Visual conversion funnels are dead easy to setup now buddy... and yes you can via Tag Manager for outbound links.

I'm hoping to cover that off in a comprehensive tutorial in the next 10 days?

12. William Murray

Extremely simple Chad ;)

13. Stefan Sandin

Stefan Sandin VIP Member

Thanks William.
    I will set this up tonight for one funnel I have. When it is described this easy, you can't afford not to do it. :)

14. Dan Tredo

Dan Tredo Well-Known Member

I could have never figured this out in a million years. This is probably the only way I could every do technical stuff like this. Your awesome William, thank you. /Dan

15. William Murray

My pleasure Dan -- This one is a super simple one, YET extremely powerful once applied : )

Do this once and you'll know it only takes 5 mins, well worth the effort :)

16. Sherry Fields

Sherry Fields VIP Member Staff Member

Excellent information, looking forward to following through with it.

17. William Murray

Excellent Sherry real easy this one to apply : )

18. Michael Allton

Michael Allton Member

Gosh darn it William! You just constantly open my eyes. I've not messed with this at all for the same reasons others have mentioned. You're Da' Man!!!!

19. William Murray

Thanks Mike, looks like you'll be messing with it now buddy -- More of these gems to come ;)

20. Paul Irvine

Paul Irvine Well-Known Member

Nice one William.
    A seriously powerful yet seldom used element of Google Analytics, and these steps are written so anyone can follow it (my kind of guide :)