How To Make A Quality Video

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing Discussion Forum' started by Dave Hughes, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes VIP Member

Two years ago, I was a member of Dr. Ben Adkin's "Syndicate", and during one of our weekly meetings, he told everyone that they needed to create a product that was nothing but video...no PDF's, no audio files, nothing but video.

Quite a few people hit their "I'mgonnadieOMGIcan'tdothatahhhhhh!" button at the thought of doing a video, much less a video-only product.

As I try to do from time to time, I rode to the rescue.

This was done with a "Flip" cam, held in my hand in all but the "fire" scene, and Camtasia. (Many people don't realize you can add production elements like music beds into Camtasia videos, but you can.)

In total time, from "I'm-a gonna make me a video!" to uploading it to YouTube, was about three hours...not exactly a "labor of love". However, while I did it as a joke to break the tension on our forum, it illustrates a very important thing that can take your video from "just another video" to "Wow! That's awesome!".

I'll tell you what a little later (along with why it's important, and how you can do it, too), but I want to get your opinion first. I'm curious to see if anyone can tell me before I spill the beans myself.

2. Gordon Russell

Gordon Russell VIP Member

When I literally pissed myself laughing, with the loudest belly laugh I can remember having in a long time, my daughter come running in " Are You Ok Dad? - Whats Wrong?".

I must start laughing more, so they know what it is I am doing next time.

Thanks for brightening my day Dave.

Dave Hughes likes this.
  3. Dan Tredo

Dan Tredo Well-Known Member

Dave - I am LMAO on that one. What a greeeaaaaat way to start Saturday morning!

I tell you - I am so excited about doing all kinds of video for my marketing, as well as in my instructional courses.

And of course I have lots of questions about this stuff since I'm brand new to all this.

Here's 3 quick ones:
    1. what digitial camera should I buy on a strict budget? (my wife and I are shopping now).
    2. what kind software do i need for a finished product? (on a budget)
    3. when I embed my sales videos in my landing pages and sales pages, and even inside my training courses and membership sites - where and how do I host the videos so they play nicely?

And again - thanks for that video. I love it when you were knocked out by the ball!!!!!! LOL

Dave Hughes and Steve Waller like this.
  4. Kieran McDonogh

Kieran McDonogh VIP Member

Dave - you're just like wine... you keep getting better and better with age. Your video was bloody brilliant - very funny!

You sure know how to grab attention, hold my interest, boost my desire, but didn't see the call-to-action in the video. Another words, AIDA <--- is this what you were alluding to?

Dave Hughes and William Murray like this.
  5. Tania Shipman

Tania Shipman Well-Known Member

Seriously funny and with great points. Thanks for the laughs and the learning.

6. William Murray

William Murray Administrator Staff Member

Dave,

You crack me up :D

I had a mouthful of coffee then I hear 'Turn it down yourself you old fart' I almost spat it all out over the monitor :D

I put the coffee down after that LMAO.

Great job and thanks for taking the time to put this up on JV Focus buddy : )

7. Steve Waller

Steve Waller Well-Known Member

Great video Dave!

I can see you're going to bring a lot of laughs to the forum but with a serious message throughout too. That's the best way to teach/learn in my opinion.

But I was sure there was going to be a Blair Witch moment when I first saw the video with the still of you in the dark! Maybe next time...

Dave Hughes and Dan Tredo like this.
  8. Stefan Sandin

Stefan Sandin VIP Member

Loved this Dave Hughes
    I remember what Ben told us in The Syndicate, and as you said, few took him up on that.

Dan Tredo: this is my comments to them, especially if you are on a strict budget:

1. Do you have an iPhone, iPad or any other smartphone? Start with that. You will get great videos to start with.
    2. If you want to try Camtasia, you have a 30 day trial (http://www.techsmith.com/download/camtasia/). Or use jing. You can make a 5 min video in the free version.
    3. YouTube. Free and great capacity. Or Amazon S3. You can get the first year for free (http://aws.amazon.com/free/)

Stefan

9. Amanda Craven

Amanda Craven Member

LOL (my daughter hates it when I type that) - superb! And I couldn't agree more ;-)

10. Dan Tredo

Dan Tredo Well-Known Member

Stefan - thanx man! Its the simple things I overthink. Yes I have a iphone and that will do just fine in the beginning. And youtube of course is fine and simpler to start, then maybe later go to S3. I will check out jing and camtasia too.

By the way - it looks like you are from Sweden. Are you still there? I worked side by side with the Swedish Air Force for 10 years when I was in the defence industry. Took many trips to Stockholm and did some travel around the country. Love it there!

Dave Hughes and Stefan Sandin like this.
  11. Stefan Sandin

Stefan Sandin VIP Member

Yes Dan Tredo, I'm here. In fact I live and work in Stockholm. :)
    I have had a posting in UK the last year, but back home now.

I hope you liked Stockholm. I really enjoy the city and living here.

Stefan

12. Alessandro Zamboni

Alessandro Zamboni VIP Member

This video is too funny! Superb representation of the real life, especially when you want to record a video.

Seems to be in my house :) Whenever I try to record something, the dog barks, mom calls at the phone, the postman ring my bell, and so on... Recording a long video may become a daunting experience!
    But when you have to do a video, you must "shut down" the dog (push it out from home, so he will take care of the postman), and unplug the phone and the cell phone :)

Thanks so much for letting me laugh so much! It's always great to smile, it helps a lot!

See you soon,
    Alessandro

13. Dr. Aljonaid

Dr. Aljonaid VIP Member

Dave,

I knew it from the first video you posted in JVFocus that you are up to something different...but honestly..never thought it's gonna be this different!

That was very creative and funny man! I played it once when I was in my office then I couldn't resist but playing it again in my car while driving back home and LMAO! :)

Will be looking forwards to seeing your coming videos and would love it if we could work together sometimes in the future!

Excellent Job Dave!

William Murray and Dave Hughes like this.
  14. Miguel Perez

Miguel Perez Member

This is excellent content, and not only because it's funny.

Had you created a serious and "professional" video teaching the 4 most important things, I'm sure I would forget them sooner or later.

Now I will never forget to find a quiet place and get away from distractions. It's a proof of how a story or humor can be used for teaching and making your points stick.

Excellent!

15. Clarke Tuitele

Clarke Tuitele Member

Love the video, Dave! Really liked the fun way you shared your content....I mean, isn't that what learning's all about? Keeping your audiences attention, produce engaging content...and having fun while doing it! Superb job! Thanks again for sharing.

William Murray likes this.
  16. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes VIP Member

There we go!

That's exactly the point I was going to make; most people tend to put on their "lecturing professor" voice and attitude when doing video, many times out of nerves and/or insecurity.

That will kill your message's effectiveness.

Don't get me wrong...not everything lends itself to a silly story, but everything is improved with storytelling elements.

Exactly right. Think back to school days...which teacher was your favorite?

I would be willing to bet it wasn't the one that stood there and droned on and on and on and......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Whether it's a promotional video to drive traffic, a video that's part of a product, or just something silly...tell a story with it, and you'll not only be remembered, but you'll be shared.

True story...William shared this post in the Facebook group, but it had already been shared by a couple of the other members before he got a chance...and people on their friends' list then shared it again.

In 24 hours, the video has been viewed over 200 times, and I've gotten over a dozen new friend requests in Facebook as a direct result of this video.

I'll be doing another post in the next day or two on the topic of telling a story, but in the meantime, think about what you can do to tell a story. (There may eventually be homework.)

17. William Murray

William Murray Administrator Staff Member

I concur true story : )

That doesn't surprise me at all, we will probably syndicate this one again today :)

I can't wait, love your content Dave!

Dave Hughes likes this.
  18. Chad Eljisr

Chad Eljisr New Member

This is hilarious!!! :)

I think I'll share this video with my list of subscriber... Too funny!

19. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes VIP Member

Share away, Chad...hope they like it!

20. Laurie Prior

Laurie Prior VIP Member

Oh, Dave, you are truly a gifted teacher. I laughed so hard the cats ran out of the room. More importantly, your message came through loud and clear.

I've dabbled a bit with video email and video landing pages, but my personality doesn't shine through...instead I think I sound like a silly little girl. Besides practice, do you have any (other) advice for shaking the nerves? Also, do you think it's better to speak from bullet points or a script?

Btw, I hope I'm not taking advantage of that huge brain of yours by asking more questions. You're just so dang awesome, man!

Thank you for being such an enlightening and enjoyable guy.

Laurie