How to get your name out there, even if you're completely new to marketing

Discussion in 'Main Joint Venture Discussion Forum' started by William Murray, Oct 27, 2013.

1. William Murray

William Murray Administrator Staff Member

Over the last few years I've personally connected with 100's if not a 1000+ Marketers from who operate in various niches.

I've connected with them via different medium i.e. Skype chat, calls, private messages email, social media and even in person.

One thing that pops up frequently, especially with Marketers who're trying to break through from either making their first $1 online or trying to take their business to the next level, is how to get their name in front of bigger players within their respective marketplaces.

It's a common issue...

There's loads of different strategies, tactics and platforms to grabbing the attention of your peers, however a very effective one is being part of a community just like JVFocus and sharing value.

It's a response I've given quite frequently to others 'provide value'...

The answer I'd normally get back from whomever I've advised is 'I don't have anything of value to share', which I disagree with.

I believe strongly that everyone has something valuable to share even if you're completely new to Marketing.

A special skill or knowledge that's either hidden inside or the person doesn't even realise they have that talent.

Granted you may be learning your craft in a niche that you're new to and feel there's nothing there that you can share.

However think about what other skills you have, what did or do you do for a living?

What about life skills and other experiences?

Even if you feel you've nothing at all to offer or perhaps feel a little too shy to begin with, then there's an alternative.

Interaction...

That's right something as simple as interacting with others and their posts will still get you known to your peers.

Try your best to stay away from real short responses for example, 'great post'...

Take the time to read the information, pick a few points out and provide a formed opinion.

Simple interaction, moreover consistent simple interaction will certainly get you noticed by others in communities, just like JVFocus.

What strategies do you use to get your name 'out there'? Let me know below.

William

2. Carl Picot

Carl Picot Active Member

I agree that everyone always has something to offer - when I used to do my video tips in the group, they were all about motivation and focus - as that can affect any marketer no matter what level YOU are on. Together with planning - these were what I struggled with, so others must have been experiencing the same.

The thing is not to be too intimidated by putting your self out there - people will be impressed that you are making the effort :)

Thanks for a great post William.

Cheers Carl

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  3. William Murray

Spot on Carl, fear usually plays a part and it's better to try to share value and make the effort vs sitting back and never being noticed by your peers :)

Well said ; )

William

4. Cheryl Johnson

Cheryl Johnson VIP Member

Carl, just video itself is enough to make most people afraid! lol The fact that you used it must've made you REALLY stand out! ^_^

And William, you are definitely right! Everyone has something to contribute. It's kind of funny, actually. When one gets used to doing something, it starts to seem like "common sense". Because of this, the most valuable things that one can contribute, are often the things that they think have the least value. :)

As for putting yourself out there, one of the most important things that you can do is branding. It can be as simple as using the same picture and username everywhere, or as complex as making websites, social media groups, and videos with beautiful intros and outros, and posting those all over the place.

Whatever you do that reflects you, it needs to be consistent. Without that, people may see your content all over the web, but never associate it with you, and if that happens, your effort will all be for naught. 0.o

5. William Murray

Well said Cheryl :)

Branding is really important to and as you mentioned can be as easy or complex as you like to make it :D

William

6. startup

startup Member

The whole "value" thing is perhaps better put for newbies as being "helpful" .

I was once asked to mentor some people from a church who lost their jobs.... Sending an email was high tech to all of them...so telling them to share value was like asking my dentist to share space walking tips.

It was too vague a concept for them to grasp... but I advised a former auto mechanic to offer to any helpful tips on car repair ina community forum he was a member of and how to DIY... and mention that he would like to hear from anyone who needed some help...

A pastry chef was encouraged to make a simple helpful video, using her phone, on how to bake cupcakes

And a lady who had worked at a sandwich shop gave helpful tips on a video using the same phone. She showed how to make tasty and nutritious sandwiches with leftovers.. she called it " Tasty Sandwich Tips" and showed it to young mothers at the church ...

You may call these ideas providing " value".... I sure do

Many IM and online marketers also eat, like cupcakes and have cars that need repair

Helping folks fix their car and eat better is providing value in my book...

We all have talents that may be more VALUABLE than imagined until dusted off and polished up to shine in a new light and new a new way

7. Mike Newton

Mike Newton Administrator Staff Member

Valid points Dr B. For those who are business people though, they should endeavour to get a grasp of the concept ASAP.

8. William Murray

That's an excellent way of comparing value for someone not familiar with the term value Dr. B :)

Haha, very true :D

I read recently, (I forget where now). Ask yourself the following question when adding value to another persons life or business.

Quite a logical statement when you think about it : )

Really good examples there !

We sure do, and most don't even realise it, or put themselves down most of the time.

David Bratby and Mike Newton like this.
  9. Jason Kanigan

Jason Kanigan VIP Member

Very valuable OP, William!

Folks, one of the things that William did that made him stand out to me was give me a Skype call.

I got to see him as a real human being, in a way an email never would. That sticks. I will go out of my way to help William when I'm able because of that connection.

Now back to the general case: Getting people used to seeing you is key in marketing.

Get known for something. It doesn't have to be much, or anything spectacular...merely having consistently well thought-out responses to topics is valuable.

But everyone does have some expertise, whether they acknowledge it or not. You know more than you realize.

10. Mike Newton

Absolutely. In fact we all sometimes forget just how much we do know or that we may have something more to offer than we realize.

11. Paul Reaume

Paul Reaume Moderator Staff Member

Being new to marketing I can attest to the fact that fear is a huge barrier. I think it stems from feelings of inadequacy.

First because most of us are new to the internet and to marketing in general. Secondly, because most people are trained to be followers and not leaders.

I had to overcome the first fear. Fear of not knowing a darned thing about the internet or marketing.

So, it took some time for me to realize that although a general knowledge of the technical aspects is necessary it is impossible to learn everything.

The more important stuff to learn is marketing. And, that is learned by communicating and interacting with others.

Duh!

It took me over two years to figure this simple formula out.

Sure, I learned a bunch of stuff in the mean time. But, it is painfully apparent now that any lasting success is dependent on these relationships.

12. William Murray

I'm blushing now Jason, thanks for your kind words buddy :)

I enjoyed our call that day, and taking some time out of your schedule to connect with someone on the phone is much more powerful than sending 100s of PMs that get lost in 'noise', in desperation trying to make a connection here and there for your business.

13. William Murray

THE only way you'll ever overcome that fear Paul, is to 'do' - I don't mean 'take action', boy that word is overused IMO.

What I mean is actually get out there and make progress, even if it's 'baby steps' at first? If you have a fear of connecting with your peers, then make a point of connecting with 2-3 per day until you overcome that fear, don't stop connecting just perhaps scale it back and reconnect with those you've established some kind of relationship with?

14. Paul Reaume

Paul Reaume Moderator Staff Member

Thanks William. Been working on that a bit every day. Have been making some progress, too. And because of it I am beginning to see a way forward.

The more pieces of the puzzle you put together the clearer the picture becomes.

David Bratby and Mike Newton like this.
  15. Dave Lynch

Dave Lynch Well-Known Member

16. Dave Lynch

Dave Lynch Well-Known Member

Seriously though, the more marketers I get to know, the more I realise even the big guys have blind spots. If you can become an expert in one of those blind spots and help others out with them, you will start to become known as an expert in that area. Imho.

17. Mike Newton

So true Dave! :)

18. Robin A. Palmer

Robin A. Palmer Member

Excellent posts!

Really inspiring ;)

I think there is a lot of things you can do to get yourself and your name out there,

For example one of the things I've been doing is to connect people, for example, one friend of mine who has a lot of time and experience as an Internet Marketer was JV brokering for a product, what I did was to simply pass on his JV sign up page to another IM'er who was interested in pushing that offer,

I did not make any commission or anything, and they might never promote anything I have to offer, but I could almost see their smile through the computer screen... :D

Anyhow, the chances of your name popping up in a conversation I think increases everytime you give something of value, or when you just help someone out with something, and that is the best recommendation you can have...

(I suddenly remembered the movie "Pay it forward" with Kevin Spacey)...lol

And Carl, I really think your recommendation of using videos is great, and yes, you're right, fear is a common obstacle...

One thing that helps me a lot is to ask myself (you've probably heard this one):

What is the worst thing that could happen?

Then I accept that scenario and just get down to work and do my best,

Ok, this post is getting long....,

Just wanted to chime in...

Thanks,
    Robin

19. Mike Newton

So true Robin.. I liked the Spacey movie too! ;)

Robin A. Palmer and David Bratby like this.