Hi!

Discussion in 'Say Hello And Introduce Yourself' started by Chris Dolan, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Chris Dolan

Chris Dolan Member

Just a few words about yours truly. I have been developing software and internet marketing products for around 10 years. Love looking for new ways to solve old problems, and helping people, fellow marketers and newbies to cut through all the bs/lies/myths so that they can get moving and earning, rather than going round and round in circles.

What have I done in the past 10 years or so ...

Build a paid community site with 1000 members, sold it to a related online business for a nice sum and consulting gig.
    Launched about 20-30 products: Hot Niche Spy, Hot Article Spy, Hot Answer Spy, Hot Keyword Spy, SEO Rank Promoter, TweeterNaire, TubeNaire, Slide 2 Video Pro, Hot Proxy Spy, Social Back Office, Social Group Explorer, Talking Video Heads, Social Link Signals, Video Marketing Launchpad to name a few of the successful ones
    Bought and Flipped sites for profits
    Worked with software companies to get their demos and lite versions on cover disks
    Setup joint ventures between software companies for mutual promos
    Rebranded products like TweeterNaire, TubeNaire, Hot Article Spy, Hot URL Spy and Hot Keyword Hunter for big name marketers
    Sold special dll's for getting results from the Keyword Planner to big name marketers

What can I do for you? Hopefully what I have done in the past and more. Just let me know if I can help, happy to chat to anyone about concepts, and what to do/not to do when it comes to your developing a software (PHP/WP Plugins/C# .Net).

I won't charge you anything for a bit of advice. Its good to share, so that you don't repeat some of the mistakes I have made during the past 10 years. If you need a software developed and I can help great, if not, and you just want to know what to do because your coder disappeared, etc. great, let me know and I will try to help.

2. Graham Hawarth

Graham Hawarth VIP Member

Welcome Chris. I'm new here also.
    I'm fascinated by your background because I'm just starting the process of creating my first software product. It'll all be outsourced because I don't know anything about code work.
    I'll go to Elance/Odesk for a coder, but would love to know in advance what platform I should be looking at. WP plugin is a possibility but I hear that they break quite often and need to be updated when WP also update.
    Would appreciate your help and if I can do anything in return, I'd be please to do so.

Chris Dolan and William Murray like this.
  3. Gordon Russell

Gordon Russell VIP Member

Welcome Chris,

Seen you around in WSO JV Central, but had no idea you've had your finger in so many pies.

Hope we can catch a tip or two from you in a thread around here some time soon.

4. Chris Dolan

Chris Dolan Member

Hi Graham,

I would recommend doing this. Define what you want to do very clearly, set a small to reasonable budget, and look for a coder who can do the following:-

1) Show you some types of related products/softwares they have developed
    2) Has a good reputation
    3) Has skype and can communicate daily with you
    5) Doesn't require the whole project fee in escrow or up front
    6) Will work on small milestones, and on the receipt of the working code you can release milestones
    7) Is looking for ongoing work

Yes in the case of WP Plugins they can occasionally break with WP Core updates, a good coder however will know what includes to use and what not.

I say set a small to reasonable budget, because usually you can get software done for a lot less than you might think. Alot of bidder bid high on projects. But if you use the freelance sites messaging you can sometimes persaude them to drop their price, you will certainly get an idea of the right price point for the product.

I think you need to work out first though what you want to deliver, and answer some why questions like: Why will someone buy it?, Why will they buy this instead of another product? Why am I developing this? Also thinking about what you want to achieve is important.

Build a list?
    Solve a problem?
    Make money?

Hope the comments are helpful.

Chris

Steve Waller and William Murray like this.
  5. Matt Stenning

Matt Stenning Member

Hey Chris,

Nice to see you in here :)

Have seen quite a few of your test posts on Facebook for your new software, looking forward to seeing you release it!

-Matt

6. Chris Dolan

Chris Dolan Member

Thanks Matt. Just doing some thinking out the box to make it better. Its not far off.

William Murray likes this.
  7. Graham Hawarth

Graham Hawarth VIP Member

Hi Chris and thanks for your insight into creating software products.
    I have all of the above sorted and am shortly starting on my wireframe for the project.
    Most of my problems relate to 'you don't know what you don't know and you don't know that you don't know it' In other words tech stuff that I need to be aware of; not necessarily understand.

Like anything else in life, it's a learning process and I'll get there in the end.

William Murray and Chris Dolan like this.
  8. Chris Dolan

Chris Dolan Member

Feel free to hit me for advice anytime. Don't always take what coders say as the absolute truth ... they often talk up price, development time, and complexity to justify that they are really working 30mins - 1 hour a day for you and 5 or 6 others

9. Gordon Russell

Gordon Russell VIP Member

I had a guy finish in 1 hours for me one day, the very thing he had been telling me he was working on for three days previous.

Interesting what happens when you offer not to pay them, because you know they are ripping you off or don't have a clue what they are doing.

10. Ali Grey

Ali Grey Well-Known Member

Wonderful background on your profile picture, welcome to the community Chris!

11. William Murray

William Murray Administrator Staff Member

Hey Chris,

I've no idea why I missed welcoming you into JV Focus buddy!

Welcome and thanks for being here, your introduction and signing up :)

I know you'll add a load of value to our community buddy : )

Gratefully

William

12. Sachin Sukumaran Old Account

Sachin Sukumaran Old Account New Member

Hey Chris, good to see you here... I took your advice and walked in too :)

William... maybe a smiley for handshakes would be good ;) ...

13. William Murray

William Murray Administrator Staff Member

Great idea Sachin, if you know of any resources where we can purchase additional graphics for the smilies let me know?

14. Chris Dolan

Chris Dolan Member

That was in Santa Domingo a few years ago

15. Chris Dolan

Chris Dolan Member

The more time you spend in software development the more you recognise you can get a $1-10k for a $100 investment

16. Alex Albert

Alex Albert VIP Member