Hello everyone, it's about time I introduced myself...

Discussion in 'Say Hello And Introduce Yourself' started by William Murray, Oct 5, 2013.

1. William Murray

William Murray Administrator Staff Member

Hey,

William Murray here and I thought it was high time I wrote an introduction and introduce myself to http://www.jvfocus.com members.

I'm one of the founding members of our community, although at the time of writing my introduction we're not officially live and beavering away in the background in preparation to launch.

I come from a technical background and spent many years in the Corporate world as a Senior UNIX Administrator.

I originally formed my first ever community back in 2000 for Solaris Administrators seeking professional accreditation in the industry and grew that community quite fast, with over 22,000 members in a 3 month period.

That was my first taste of leveraging online marketing strategies to achieve a specific goal.

When the DotCom bubble burst and left my asset literally worthless overnight, I decided to focus on what was putting food on the table i.e my 'Job' and didn't return to Marketing online until early 2011.

Coming back into online marketing I quickly discovered things had changed a LOT, for example there seemed to be about a gazillion ways to generate traffic, when back in 2000 I used a small handful of strategies.

Like most I spent about a year trying loads of strategies and tactics out, (none of which worked) and finally settled on setting up another community, this time leveraging Facebook Groups and haven't looked back since.

Again like before I seemed to corner a segment of the market quite fast, and the community was formed for Joint Venture type activities for marketers.

However with all the shortfalls with FB Groups, and consulting my good buddy @James Brown we decided to start building an asset we had full control over, add in features we needed for community members and provide an environment where Marketers like you can grow and mature your business.

And here we are now at the birth of http://www.jvfocus.com really excited for what's ahead and planned for the new community and looking forward to getting to know you :)

William Murray

2. Gaz Cooper

Gaz Cooper VIP Member

AWESOME stuff mate love the way you were the first facbook group and leading the way and just look how many there are now WOW, Now you are leading the way again and building your own ASSET instead of leaving it to a platform you really have no control over and that is very smart.

Looking foward to being a major contributor to JV FOCUS and im exicted to what i can see this turning into.

Good Luck with it guys you deserve it.

3. William Murray

Thanks Gaz :)

Having amazing contributing folk like yourself onboard buddy makes all the difference, building a strong foundational community isn't possible without yourself and others my friend : )

And WOW just say it, amazing the amount of marketing related groups there are on FB now - Totally amazing and what did I start there lol :O

Your 100% spot on though, we have zero control on the direction of the Facebook Group, and that's always been a fear for almost two years now is facing an overnight shutdown for whatever reason?

At least now we're in full control and can dictate the direction of where we go with JV Focus now, Liam and I are excited for the future and can't wait to 'officially' open up to founding members this Thursday!

William

Paul Reaume likes this.
  4. Mark Wallace

Mark Wallace Member

Och Aye the noo (probably spelt wrong) the marketer and all round good guy from deepest darkest Scotland does it again! Looks great and I'm sure it will be the number one resource for all things IM related!

Awesome Stuff William et al!

5. William Murray

Thanks Mark and LMAO your spelling is spot on but I don't talk like that honest! :D

William

6. Brad Farmer

Brad Farmer New Member

I've not been in the group for long but I've already picked up some mega pointers for my launch coming up, and general knowledge in this industry. I was actually struggling to go back through previous posts and now this forum has arrived it's the perfect platform to frame some of the content floating around under the surface in the FB group.

It's also awesome to get involved when forums launch!

Thanks

elcidofaguy and William Murray like this.
  7. William Murray

Great stuff Brad : )

And thanks for signing up :)

William

8. Stefan Sandin

Stefan Sandin VIP Member

Great intro, William.
    And you have absolute been the lead in building that FB community. And who knows how big this will be.
    You rock, buddy :)

Stefan

William Murray likes this.
  9. William Murray

Thanks Stefan, I can confirm this will be big ; )

William

10. Dr. Aljonaid

Dr. Aljonaid VIP Member

I don't know how I couldn't see this post! :oops: !
    Not an easy job you're doing mate, yet you are amazingly good at it. I'm grateful to know you and be part of this great community.

Thank you again William for everything. :)

11. William Murray

Lol no worries buddy I usually fly under the radar and thanks for your comments : )

12. Matthew Newnham

Matthew Newnham Member

Another well-crafted community vehicle for you, William Murray and Liam Murray. And although I haven't yet had the pleasure of meeting James Brown, I'm sure I will soon.

For now, it's enough to add my thanks, and best wishes for an awesome 2014.

Best wishes from Edinburgh,

Matthew

Paul Irvine and William Murray like this.
  13. William Murray

Thanks Matthew that's very kind of you, and we're excited with JV Focus, all it's members and the growth it's received the last 10 days or so.

Exciting times ahead and it's great to see you here with us, another fellow Scot :)

14. Paul Irvine

Paul Irvine Well-Known Member

JVCentral was good but always limited by the structure of facebook.
    JVFocus...this is going to be H U G E for everyone involved.

Thank you guys for creating the community of online business owners that have a genuine interest in sharing and helping each other, a very rare thing indeed :)

15. William Murray

The pleasure is all ours mate, this has been in the works for some time now, in fact James Brown asked me to do this about 18 months ago, only really grasped the value about summer last year when we started planning.

It's great seeing it all come together and the great interction between members is amazing :)

16. Alexander Kitingan

Alexander Kitingan New Member

Hi William and everyone. Been a fan of the Strategy of Preeminence and everything that I learned during my own stint in the MPI monthly mastermind. Not until recently have my team launched our funnel and tweaking it to improve it. Glad to be able to connect and hope to share some info that could help someone else.

Mike Newton and Paul Reaume like this.
  17. Paul Reaume

Paul Reaume Moderator Staff Member

Hey Alexander, happy to have you on board. Looking forward to hearing about your progress.

Mike Newton likes this.
  18. Mike Newton

Mike Newton Administrator Staff Member

19. elcidofaguy

elcidofaguy Active Member

Hi William, Great story!! Really appreciate you sharing that... I think its awesome that you were one of the first adopters to build a web community way back in 2000 and then to take a sabbatical and like the the prodigal son you're back on the scene, bigger and better than ever ;-)

You reminded when I first started out in IT for some reason... One of my first jobs was to build an interface to migrate data from the mainframe into an Oracle database... The funny thing was that no one seemingly had a clue about the mainframe (except for a very few) and as systems evolved over the years that mainframe always stayed as a mysterious system only to be marveled at when it outputted data as part of a cron..

I reckon almost two decades later that mainframe is still hanging around... I reckon your old community needs to be resurrected so that once and for all that mainframe can be put to rest lol...

I'm very much looking forward to being a part of this forum, community and its journey ahead!!!

[EDIT] - Doh! I just realized that this thread is pinned and not new... Oh well - we're almost at the end of 2015 - so one can assume even bigger and better things for this forum given the new year fastly approaching!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  20. Mike Newton

Mike Newton Administrator Staff Member

LOL :D No worries Sid, your story was most interesting. ;)

Paul Reaume and David Bratby like this.